visited first the headwaters of the River Gwda in a good-sized lake, Jezioro
Wielimie, once called the Vilm-See. Near the point where the stream
leaves the lake is an attractive village of perhaps 50 homes called Gwda-Mala.
Brick or stucco covered houses with red tile roofs line several cobblestone
lanes on both sides of highway 20, surrounding a beautiful stone church
which might have existed there in the 1850s when several Klug children
were christened in "Gross-Kudde". This place was one of the few that could
be definitely identified because of its obvious physical location. The
village, like every other Polish town, large or small, had a roadside cross.
At the time we visited, most crosses were decorated with colorful ribbons
and planted or cut flowers in preparation for "Mother's Day" on May 14.
Nine kilometers to the southwest lies the city of Szczecinek, once called Neustettin. The place has obviously grown in the past 150 years but the old lakeside town center on the east side of Jezioro Trzesieka appears much as it must have years ago. Several church spires rise above the old town and we think that one of these might have witnessed the October 1801 christening of Martin Wilhelm Zastrow, whom we believe was Emilie Gustie Klug's grandfather, Karl's mother's great great grandfather. We couldn't identify a current Lutheran church in the old town, but some may have been so in former lives. The lakeside area is quite beautiful. It looks like boating, fishing and park picnics are popular summertime activities. That probably hasn't changed over the years.